PHY 102 Exam 2 Solutions
Which process supplies the energy converted to electrical energy in a nuclear power plant?
- The release of steam from underground hot springs.
- The fusion of small nuclei.
- The fission of large nuclei.
- The combustion of natural gas.
- The burning of coal.
An explosion occurs 3400m away. Given that sound travels at 340 m/s, how long will it take for the sound of the explosion to reach you?
- less than a second
- 3 seconds
- 10 seconds
- 100 seconds
When ethanol (empirical formula C2H6O) burns, it combines with oxygen and forms carbon dioxide and water. Which of the following is the balanced chemical reaction for the burning of ethanol?
- C2H6O + O2 → CO2 + H2O
- C2H6O + 2 O2 → 2 CO2 + 3 H2O
- 2 C2H6O + 3 O2 → 4 CO2 + 6 H2O
- C2H6O + 3 O2 → 2 CO2 + 3 H2O
- C2H6O + 2 O2 → 2 CO2 + 2 H2O
When two light nuclei fuse together, mass
- Is conserved.
- Is converted to energy.
- Is created from energy.
- Is increased.
Which of the following is an example of a chemical change?
- An ice cube melting.
- A sheet of metal being formed into a jewelry box.
- A candle burning.
- A window breaking.
Sulfur dichloride is a cherry-red liquid. Which of the following is true about sulfur dichloride?
- It is a covalent molecule with one sulfur atom for each two chlorine atoms.
- It is an ionic compound with one sulfur atom for each two chlorine atoms.
- It is a covalent molecule with two sulfur atoms for each one chlorine atom.
- It is an ionic compound with two sulfur atoms for each one chlorine atom.
- It is a covalent molecule with one sulfur atom for each one chlorine atom.
Oxygen-16, oxygen-17, and oxygen-18 are:
- Different elements.
- Different ions.
- Different isotopes.
- Different materials
Which of the following is an example of a compound?
- A neon gas.
- Table salt crystals.
- A sample of soil from the yard.
- A bar of gold.
An element is characterized by:
- The number of protons in the atom.
- The mass of the atom.
- The number of neutrons in the atom.
- The size of the atom.
Which of the following is NOT a physical property?
The primary colors of light are:
- Red, blue, and green
- Red, yellow, and blue
- Magenta, cyan, and yellow
- Green, blue, red and yellow
In the periodic table, a set of properties repeat from:
- element to element.
- column to column.
- row to row.
- group to group.
Which of the following statements is true?
- Chemical reaction rates vary with the conditions of the reaction, but nuclear decay rates do not.
- Nuclear decay rates vary with the conditions of the reaction, but chemical reaction rates do not.
- Both chemical reaction rates and nuclear decay rates vary with the conditions of the reaction.
- Neither chemical reaction rates nor nuclear decay rates vary with the conditions of the reaction.
What is the ultimate source of all electromagnetic waves?
- Vibrating molecules
- Radio antennas
- Light bulbs
- Vibrating charged particles
- Vibrating atoms
Different components of blood can be separated by their densities in a centrifuge. This is because blood is:
- A solution
- A suspension
- A compound
- An element
- A pure substance
The reason carbon dating works is that:
- There is so much non-radioactive carbon dioxide in the air.
- When a plant or animal dies, it stops producing oxygen.
- Plants and animals are such strong emitters of carbon-14.
- After a plant or animal dies, it stops taking in fresh carbon-14.
When two or more waves are at the same place at the same time, which phenomenon occurs?
Which of the following waves is NOT an electromagnetic wave?
- Radio waves
The loudness of a sound wave is most closely related to
- The frequency of the vibrations.
- The wavelength of the wave.
- The speed of the wave.
- The amplitude of the vibrations.
You perceive the sound of a siren to have a higher frequency when the ambulance is approaching you than when it is receding from you. Which of the following statements about this observation is true?
- The difference is a figment of your imagination.
- The difference is due different intensities of the sound.
- The difference is caused by the mechanical properties of sound.
- The difference is unique for sound waves and cannot be observed for light.
- The difference is known as the Doppler Effect.
If you dip your finger repeatedly into a surface of still water, you create waves. If you dip your finger at a lower rate,
- the higher the frequency and the longer the wavelength.
- the lower the frequency and the shorter the wavelength.
- the lower the frequency and the longer the wavelength.
- the higher the frequency and the shorter the wavelength.
When light travels from air into a piece of glass, a change in direction may occur. What is the name of this phenomenon?
Which of the following best describes what must happen for a solution to form?
- A solid must dissolve in a liquid.
- A substance must dissolve in water.
- A gas must dissolve in a liquid.
- A substance must dissolve in another substance.
- A solid must be heated to its melting point first.
Radioactive isotopes can be used:
- As a tracer in a medical test.
- To determine the age of an archeological artifact.
- To increase the shelf life of produce.
- All of the above.
Which of the following is not a form of radioactivity?
- Gamma rays
- Beta particles
- Alpha particles
Which phenomenon of light explains the separation of light into colors in a rainbow?
- The Doppler effect
Atoms consist of:
- Protons and neutrons only.
- Neutrons and electrons only.
- Electrons only.
- Protons, neutrons, and electrons.
In which of the following types of chemical bond is one or more electron(s) completely transferred from one atom to another?
- Metallic bond
- Ionic bond
- Polarized bond
Which of the following is an example of a solution?
- The atmosphere.
- An Italian salad dressing.
- Muddy water.
Which subatomic particle has a negative charge?
- A proton
- A neutron
- An alpha particle
- A gamma ray
- An electron