You have been asked to create two conceptual database models using MS Visio Database Model Diagram Template. The purpose of this lab is to have you gain familiarity with the various modeling tools needed to create a conceptual model (entity relationship diagram) of a database. You will create two conceptual models.
You will then open an existing Access database to explore database objects, and to experiment with simple data manipulation using filters and sorts, and to begin elementary work with relationships.
Upon completing this lab, you will be able to do the following.
- Relying on detailed instructions, create a simple conceptual model for a two-table database using MS Visio.
- Use experience gained in creating the first model to construct a similar conceptual model without the instructions.
- Download an existing Microsoft Access database file. Open the database, find and identify different database objects in this database.
Part B: Step 4:Â YourName_Lab1.vsd (Visio Diagram)
Part C: Step 8:Â YourName_Lab1C_Questions.docx
Microsoft Office: Word 2013, Visio 2013, and Access 2013
Options for accessing the software:
- Use a personal copy on your PC. You can request a copy of Microsoft Office 2013 via the Student Software Store icon on the Course Resources Page. Microsoft Office is located on the Students tab and all other Microsoft products, such as Visio and Access, are located on the DreamSparks tab.
- If you are a MAC user, click to read theÂ MAC User Information.
- ClickÂ DeVry virtual labÂ (Links to an external site.)Â environment to access all Microsoft Office software. For additional information about the virtual lab and how to save files, click the Lab icon on the Course Resources page.
STEP 1: Complete the Week 1 Lab
- Download theÂ Week 1 Lab InstructionsÂ (Links to an external site.)
- Download the following files to complete your Lab assignment: